Landlords: Some Documents You Need to Know About

If you are looking to rent out a property, there is a good deal of paperwork you will need to have in order, before you do so. Here are the major documents you will need before putting your property on the market:

Gas Safety Record

Landlords of residential properties are required by law to have a gas safety check carried out by a certified professional once a year. This professional, who needs to be a qualified and registered engineer, will go around and take a look at the gas appliances and make sure they pose no threat to the health and safety of the tenant.

He or she will then provide the landlord with a report that records the results. This is known as a Landlord Gas Safety Record, and copies should be provided to both the landlord and the tenant.

The copies should contain a detailed summary of the results including the following:

  • Detailed descriptions of all gas appliances and flues
  • Attestation to the working safety of all appliances checked
  • The details of any defect posing a health or safety risk as well as the steps needed to fix it
  • The professional details of the engineer, including his/her name, registration number and signature
  • The date of the inspection
  • The property address
  • The name and contact details of the property’s landlord or estate agent

Electrical Safety Certificates

As with gas safety, landlords are also responsible for the electrical safety of the property they are renting out, both at the time of moving in and throughout the duration of the tenancy. For buildings classified as Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs), this means that the landlord needs to arrange for a periodic inspection on the property to be conducted every five years.

Non-HMO properties don’t have the same legal obligation. However, an inspection every five years is not only advisable from a general safety perspective, it also protects the landlord from liability in the rare case of an electrical fire or other accidents.

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

EPCs are needed when a property is built, sold or newly rented and must be obtained before the property is put on the market. The document contains information about the property’s average energy consumption and the typical costs associated with energy use. It also has information about reducing energy use and saving on costs.

The EPC evaluation is done by an accredited assessor. The EPC document rates the property from A to G, or most efficient to least efficient, and this rating has a 10-year validity.

There are a number of facilities that are exempt from getting an EPC. These include industrial buildings, places of worship, buildings that will be used for less than 2 years, stand-alone buildings that are smaller than 50 square metres in terms of usable floor space, and more.

Legionnaires assessments

While the majority of rental properties are at low risk, law requires that landlords conduct an assessment with regard to Legionella bacteria, which is the cause of Legionnaires’ disease. So you’ll need to get a certificate attesting that this has been done and take necessary monitoring measures when necessary.